Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Apple Cinnamon Bunt Cake

Can I spend some time making your mouth water? This cake was SO good! I hadn't ever done it this way before... I adjusted the recipe for my own tastes. The first time I made it, I used a 9X13 cake pan, and I followed the recipe exactly (which included quite a bit of white flour), but this time I changed the recipe and it was (personally) SO much better! (The recipe called for a bunt pan, but I didn't have one until this week. :) ) The apples from around here are starting to get grainy and pithy. Don't buy from Argentina! Turn them into a cake!

Apple Cinnamon Bunt Cake

Dry:
2 cups spelt flour
1 Tbs cinnamon
2 tea baking powder
1 tea salt
1/2 tea baking soda

Wet:
4 eggs
2 melted sticks of butter (1 cup)
1 1/2 cups brown sugar (buy the good stuff)

Toss in:
6 granny smith apples (or more if they are small)
Pealed and sliced.

Preheat oven to 350*

Mix dry together and wet together in seperate bowls. Pour wet into dry and mix well. Toss with sliced apples (which can be tossed with lemon juice beforehand, but is optional) and add the whole thing to a greased bunt pan.

Cook for 50 - 60 minutes or a stick comes out clean.

COOL COMPLETELY before taking out of the pan. Top with 2 cups powdered sugar, and 1 - 2 Tbs apple juice to make a frosting/glaze.

This is an AMAZING cake, and I didn't have a problem with the kids eating generous servings of it either. It's mostly apples... there are big chunks of apple throughout that practically melt in your mouth. YUM!

No comments: